Sandy Bay Augmented Reality Mural
Applications are closed.
Vibrance is calling for expressions of interest from artists residing in lutruwita/Tasmania to produce an augmented reality mural in Sandy Bay.
The selected artist(s) will work closely with Vibrance to design and install a large scale mural at a site located in Sandy Bay. The mural will be designed to trigger an augmented reality experience when a visitor holds their phone up in front of the wall allowing the mural to move, morph and react in real time as the visitor walks around.
The artist(s) will work closely with our software developer to realise their concept, creating digital assets which will be used in the AR experience. Artists will be given a budget for training (e.g. 3D modelling, animation) to develop additional skills or to commission collaborators (e.g. sound, photography).
If you have any questions about the project or would like advice on how best to apply, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications closed midnight Monday 15th May, 2023.
This project is funded by Arts Tasmania, the City of Hobart and Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand (RISE) Fund. The project is supported by Kalis Property who have given permission for the wall to be used for the project.
Who can apply
This opportunity is only available to artists or groups of artists residing in lutruwita/Tasmania.
Groups are welcome to apply, however the artist fee for the project is a set amount and so will need to be shared amongst participating artists.
The project will be completed over the next 9 months in consultation with the artists. Planning and design for the project is expected to begin in late-May 2023 with the intent to install the mural in November 2023. The AR experience will launch shortly after the mural is completed.
Applications open: Wednesday 5th April, 2023
Applications close: Midnight Monday 15th May, 2023
Project kick-off: late-May 2023
Mural installation: November 2023
Project completed by: January 2024
Submissions will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Proven track record of working on high quality, large scale murals/street art
A core component of this project is painting a large-scale mural for augmented reality to interact with. The selected artist will have experience painting similarly sized walls and designing murals in consultation with building owners.
- Evidence of digital literacy
This project aims to build capacity in the selected artist(s) to develop and deliver projects which incorporate significant digital components. Whilst the project recognises that some learning will take place through the project, the project requires some existing experience using digital tools to create artworks.
The selection panel will be looking for:
- Evidence that the applicant has basic computer literacy skills (e.g. experience using Microsoft Office Suite or project management software)
- Evidence that the applicant have already taken some initial steps to incorporate digital tools into their artistic practice (e.g providing digital mock-ups to clients or editing videos for social media using dedicated software)
The application form will allow up to 500 characters to be written for each of the selection criteria above. We suggest you list examples of projects, work and prior experience which highlight how you meet the criteria.
Selection will be made using only the material you supply in your application, so ensure to include a broad range of your best work and consider the selection criteria above. The application will ask for up to 6 images of previous work.
If you have worked on large-scale murals or digital art projects before, we strongly suggest that you include at least one example of your previous work in each category.
We expect the concept to be developed to suit the site, in consultation with our software developer, and so we do not require designs or concepts at this stage. Any specific proposal submitted will be treated as prior work.
Budget & expectations
Vibrance will provide:
- This is a paid opportunity; there is a fixed $12500 artists fee ($5500 for the AR component and $7000 for the mural component)
- Artists will be given a $1000 training or commissioning budget
- Assistance from a software developer to develop the AR integration
- Guidance on how to best make use of AR to illustrate their concept
- Guidance on which skills they may need to acquire to create assets for our software developer to work with
- All required materials and equipment for the production of the mural
- Artists will have broad creative freedom, as long as it adheres to our community guidelines
- Artists are expected to learn new skills through this program so they can meaningfully contribute to the augmented reality component of the artwork. For example, learn how to create 3D models, 2D assets in specific formats or animations.
- Artists who will be installing the mural are required to hold public liability insurance
- Artists will need access to a computer for the duration of the project that meets the minimum requirements to run Photoshop and/or Blender
The wall is located opposite 48 King Street in a carpark owned and managed by Kalis Property.
How to apply
Applications are closed. All applicants will be notified of the result shortly.
IMAGE NOTE: If accessing this page via the Instagram or Facebook app on your phone you may have issues with uploading images. If so, open the website in your phones main web browser (e.g. Chrome, Safari) or on a desktop computer.