Launceston Paterson Street East Car Park Mural Project
Vibrance, in collaboration with the City of Launceston, are calling for expressions of interest from lutruwita/Tasmania artists to explore two mural opportunities on the front of Launceston’s Paterson Street East Car Park.
This project is part of Vibrance’s commitment to new works in northern Tasmania, supported by the Australian Federal Government RISE (Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand) Grant; and a continuation of the City of Launceston's Public Art Strategy 2023-2031.
Expressions of interest for both opportunities are now closed.
Who can apply
These opportunities are available to artists residing in lutruwita/Tasmania, or artists who have spent significant time in lutruwita/Tasmania (at least two years) or have significant connection to the region. Artists from diverse backgrounds, styles, and from the northern lutruwita/Tasmania region, are especially encouraged to apply.
While artists at all career stages will be considered, artists who already have a proven track record for producing large-scale public murals will be strongly considered.
Groups are welcome to apply, however the artist fees are set and will not be increased for groups (see Artist Fees below).
Planning and design for the project is expected to begin in late-November 2023 with the intent to present designs in January 2024 then install the mural in February 2024.
Applications open: Friday 27 October, 2023
Applications close: Midnight, Monday 20 November, 2023
Planning and design: 27 November 2023 - 31 January 2024
Design presentation, changes & approval: 1-9 February 2024
Mural installation: 14 February 2024 - 31 March 2024
Paterson Street East Car Park located on Paterson Street in the centre of the Launceston CBD (1-15 Paterson St, Launceston TAS 7250).
The two walls on which the commissioned artworks will be painted are the front facade of the building, facing Paterson Street (Wall 1 & Wall 2).
Two artists will be selected to paint one wall each. A Selection Panel will be formed to assist with selection of artists and artworks for this project. Note: the location of the artworks will be selected by the Selection Panel (please see Artist Selection Process below).
Artist Selection Process
Submissions will be assessed against the following criteria:
- The quality and originality of your work
- Evidence of previous work of similar size and scope
- Availability of the artist during the production time frame
Artists or artist groups will be selected by a panel consisting of representatives from Vibrance, Launceston Central, the City of Launceston, and its Cultural Advisory Committee.
Applications are assessed based on the images provided by the Artist in the expression of interest process, not work familiar to the selection panel outside of your submission. Please consider this when submitting and putting forward work that demonstrates your ability to paint large-scale, wall-based, artworks.
This is a paid opportunity; there is a fixed $6500 (ex-GST) artists fee for each wall ($500 design fee plus a $6000 installation fee). Vibrance will provide all required materials and equipment to produce the mural.
- Artists will have broad creative freedom, as long as it adheres to our community guidelines
- Artists who will be installing the mural are required to hold public liability insurance to the value of $10 million. Note that NAVA Premium Plus Membership insurance provides the necessary amount of insurance cover. Artists will need to provide a certificate of cover before starting work.
- Artists will be required to travel to and from the wall. Additional funding will not be provided to pay for any additional costs such as travel or accommodation.
- Artists must be capable of working at heights.
- For artwork expressing indigenous themes and/or cultural perspectives, liaison with local traditional custodians is expected.
How to apply
Applications are closed. Applications closed midnight, Monday 20th November, 2023
NOTE: If accessing this page via the Instagram or Facebook app you may have issues with uploading images. If so, open the website in your phones main web browser (e.g. Chrome, Safari) or on a desktop computer.